The importance of preserving the unique genetic qualities of the old breeds of sheep led a group of concerned sheep breeders in Victoria to establish Heritage Sheep Australia in 2002.
Their aim is to protect, promote and secure the future of the breeds that played an important role in the foundation of the sheep and wool industry in Australia. Heritage Sheep Australia is affiliated with the Australian Stud Sheep Breeders Association Limited
The Heritage breeds include longwool breeds whose fleece delights handspinners and weavers, and shortwool breeds renown for fine textured meat with excellent flavour.
Most of the Heritage sheep breeds have enjoyed past popularity but today,with only a small number of studs in many of the breeds, they face extinction in Australia without ongoing support. Heritage Sheep Australia believes that the genetic heritage of these sheep is to be treasured.
Whether you are a prime lamb producer, a craft person, or a small land holder there will be a Heritage sheep breed to suit you.
Download a membership form here
Australian Sheep Magazine
Second edition will be available at the 2017 Australian Sheep and Wool Show:
- Editor – Over the Pen
- A word from the President
- Life Membership for two Hampshire Down enthusiasts
- A short history of the Southdown in Australia
- Banjo Paterson had some amusing things to say about the Merino
- Brenton Heazlewood takes a long hard look at his Sunday roast
- A butcher's praise for hoggets
- Bothwell International Highland SpinIN and Fibre Festival
- Our Editor reckons that the Smithfield sheepdog is not extinct
- The Art of Livestock by Jason Roberts, Agricultural Artist
- Tabany Farm, home for unwanted, rescued and pre-loved sheep
- A photographic look at the Grasmere Lincoln stud Bendigo Show photos
- Royal Melbourne photos
The Australian Sheep Magazine is free to members of Heritage Sheep Australia when they renew their membership, and is free to new members.
The Annual General Meeting of Heritage Sheep Australia will be held during the 2017 Australian Sheep and Wool Show, Prince of Wales Showgrounds, Holmes Road, Bendigo.
Meeting date and time: Saturday 15th July 2017 at 1.00 pm
Location: Meeting room in the Regional Exhibition Centre
Agenda: available soon
Download AGM 2016 minutes here